[affs-project] Another idea (grant publicity) [was Re: Freedom, and Re: Mug and tee-shirt design]

Alex Hudson home at alexhudson.com
Sun Sep 19 18:55:00 BST 2004

On Sun, 2023-09-19 at 17:59 +0100, Richard Smedley wrote:
> > The logo also should feature, but I would prefer it not to be the main
> > design.
>
> That's fine - in the absence of the GNU we can
> try various ideas at shows, and see which is
> the most popular.

Well, the thing is, I don't think the GNU will be absent, that's one of
the problems :o)
But yes, it would definitely be a good marketing exercise.
Allow me to go back on my previous "no birds" idea, and post my latest
thought:
	http://www.alexhudson.com/images/bornfree.png
Never let it be said I have ever made up my mind :o) The idea here is to
continue the whole free flight / freedom thang - ignore the crap font
kerning and other issues, those can be fixed, but what do peeps think?
> Another idea for posters, and possibly mugs...
>
> It's far from original, but how about adapting the
> classic ``Wild West'' wanted poster - wanted, missing
> Free Software; reward, up to GBP1000, see www.affs.org.uk/grants,
> that sort of thing.

I'm not sure that's a great idea for mugs (it's something which could go
out of date, and isn't something obviously something you would want on a
mug - my opinion only, of course), but definitely posters. Yeah, it's
cheesy, so what - it works. Also easy to repro onto yellow paper using
only a laser or something. I like it. Plenty of scope for cheesy puns
and we can extend the theme into a marketing campaign. Soopah.
Cheers,
Alex.