[affs-project] Nochex and konqueror problems

Alex Hudson home at alexhudson.com
Fri Nov 19 09:40:12 GMT 2004

On Fri, 2023-11-19 at 09:05 +0000, Neil Baker wrote:
> I signed p with UKFSN recently on line (using Firefox) perhaps their
> system is the way to go?

UKFSN actually use WorldPay, which is a merchant banking service
essentially. We did look at this previously - unfortunately, it would
never be economic for AFFS to use it. There is something like a several
hundred pound annual charge alone, before you get to transaction
charges: I have no idea what proportion of our membership currently uses
the online facility, and although it seems to be a popular method for
new people joining I would still suspect that any annual charge would be
a similar figure to the money that we get in via online membership subs.
We'd basically be treading water, unless we raised the sub (at £10,
there isn't really much wiggle room).
> IMHO anyone who has the attitude "use IE", including tweaking their site
> to be non-standards compliant should be actively boycotted and slagged
> off to the extent allowed by law.
> If the problem is that an aspect of Konqueror that is not standards
> compliant then it is a bug.

Well, indeed. I don't know what the problem with Konqueror is, but I did
try it (as far as I could) last night with 3.2 and everything seemed to
be okay. I did look at the page source and there wasn't anything
obviously "tricky" either; although there was some Javascript.
If anyone is able to suggest someone better than NoChex, I think we'd
move (or at least, offer the option if it was easy to do): at the moment
though, NoChex doesn't cost us anything really and it does allow us to
clear credit/debit cards. There is also no potential charge-back,
although I'm not sure how big a worry that would be.
I would be surprised if NoChex didn't want to support Konqueror. KHTML
is part of Safari, and I don't think they would want to shut out the
(KDE + OSX) desktop people; that must be close to a few % of total
market share.
Cheers,
Alex.